For most international students, “going abroad” is synonymous with going to the USA. So much is the popularity of the country, and so high the standard of its education that students from the remotest corners of the world dream of pursuing their higher education in that country. As we know, going to any country for academic pursuits requires a student visa, and there are many kinds of study visa available for every country, depending on who wants to go for what kind of academic reasons, and stay for how long in that country. We will now go into the details of all the kinds of education visa that international students need to know about, to plan his or her higher studies in America.

F1 Visa USA

The F1 visa usa is for academic studies. This visa is issued to students who are going to attend an academic or English language programme. This visa is the most common visa for going to the Unites States. The requirement to enjoy the benefits of this visa is that the student must maintain the minimum course-load for full time students. Students are expected to complete their studies by the expiration date on the I-20 form (Certificate for Eligibility for Non Immigrant Student Status). The F1 status of students allows them to work part time, or find employment on campus (should be less than twenty hours a week). Additionally, they can work in the Optional Practice Training programme for a year after they complete their courses.

J1 Visa USA

J1 visas are issued to those students who need to obtain practical training that is not available in their home countries, to complete their academic programmes. The J1 visa allows students to enjoy the same status as those enjoyed by students with the F1 visa. The employment opportunities and restrictions for students with the J1 visa are the same as those with the F1 visa.

M1 Visa USA

The M1 visa is issued to students who are going to attend a non academic programme or a vocational school. The students holding these visas are not allowed to work during the course of their studies. Therefore, M1 visa applicants need to show proof of the fact that they have enough funds to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of the intended stay.

Documents Required for Visa
  • The documents one would need to fulfill visa requirements are follows:
  • A valid passport
  • A Non Immigrant Visa Application Form (DS 160)
  • The Application fee payment receipt
  • A passport photo
  • A certificate of eligibility for Non Immigrant student status (Form I 20)
  • Academic records
  • Test scores of GRE, TOEFL, GMAT, etc
  • Proof of intent to depart from the United States after the course is over
  • Proof of financial stability

A special note for Indian students who wish to apply for an F1 visa to study in USA. They must have the address of a foreign residence ready. While on the F1 visa, a student will be allowed to study in only the institution he or she declared to the visa officers. Applicants must demonstrate sufficient financial support. Finally, they must demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country. This may be done by showing a job offer letter promising a job in the home country after completion of the course, or providing proof of assets, bank accounts, etc. The visa form is worth 160 dollars, and the visa processing time could be four months. The US visa application must be done keeping this timeframe in mind. One may apply for a dependant visa, too. Visa without IELTS can be obtained, but as mentioned, TOEFL scores may be necessary. For students who wish to pursue higher studies in the United States, the USA visa cost is quite reasonable. For any further information or assistance, please feel free to get in touch with us. You may also enquire at the nearest American embassy.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.